Sunday, April 13, 2008

Songkran

No pictures to post, because I stupidly forgot my camera, but what a day! Today we celebrated Songkran at the Thai Temple in San Antonio. I didn't even know there was a Thai Temple. It's tucked away in a beautiful area, quite hidden by suburbia. The folks who run Bubblehead in Southtown invited us to join them for Thai New Year and the water festival, and of course, Thai Food. Oh my GOD was there incredible Thai food! I've been craving it so much lately I've been having Thai lunches at local restaurants more than my wallet should let me, all ok, but never quite like 'home' (or, what was my home for some time). Oh wow the food was amazing, all made by the local Thai ladies. Quite a few of the folks from area restaurants too, oddly enough. I kept eating and eating and eating. Angelina did too. She didn't quite take to the Som Tom (too spicy even for Fredo), but she loved the soups and noodles.

She was dancing to the Thai music and was entertaining everyone, as usual.

Part of the day included a prayer session and offerings to the monks. During this ~45 min offering, Angelina fell asleep. I knew she was super tired, but this kid never falls asleep in 'odd' places. She's weird like that. We all thought it was the chanting. So now I've got to get some monks' chant music on CD. She stayed asleep as everyone left the room, so we decided to let her lay there until she woke on her own. I wish I had a camera, the image of her sleeping on this big carpet in front of a huge gold Buddha was just too precious.

We escaped before the water cannons came out in full force, but were there long enough to see it get started.

All in all, an amazing day. I felt like I was back in Thailand for a few hours at least.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, Cherise! I was tooling around doing research for my semester project and came across your blog of all things, because of your short review of the Liberty Bar. (Do you have a source for saying that it was once a brothel? I'm having a heck of a time finding something reliable.) Anyway, lovely to read about your adventures and your lovely daughter (who is so big, goodness!). E-mail me sometime, if you get the chance. Take care.

Unknown said...

Bah. It won't let me edit. I was going to add an address: babsarella76 (at) yahoo (dot) com. Ta!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If ossible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aparelho de DVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aparelho-dvd.blogspot.com. A hug.

christine said...

It´s funny how once you´ve lived in a country you can´t shake the connection. I´m already wondering where we´ll find our Mexican connection in France.

The prayer sounds really amazing.

 
eXTReMe Tracker