Thursday, March 08, 2007

Angelina is learning to love Thai food

No, I'm not feeding her Gai Phad Prik or Som Tum, at least not directly.



It's been three years now since I've been in Thailand. THREE YEARS. I can't believe it's been so long. A place that was such a major part of my life, and I haven't seen it in so long. I've been so nostalgic lately. This was perhaps induced by my friend Glen, who just went to Mae Sot to connect with the SMRU gang, in hopes of doing a med school rotation there. He rapidly fell in love with the place, just like I did. He even went on the Umphang trek, but didn't encounter quite as much mud as I had. And best of all, he met my old friend Kung (who's now a father himself)!

So, to make up for it, I've been eating Thai food. With a vengeance. The more I eat, the more I want. The spicier the better. I've tried a few Thai restaurants in San Antonio, all so-so. With mom here I finally decided we needed to try Thai Cafe - it's waaaay across town, in an area I never go, have no reason to be near really. But oh so worth the drive! Oh the Sum Tum!!!! I haven't had that since I left Thailand (even tho I have the container to make it, finding green papaya is not possible - the restaurant gets it from Houston). I just wanted to sit and listen to the staff speaking Thai. I realized how much I'd forgotten. Then the following week, I was in another area for a meeting, looking for a place to eat lunch, and stumbled upon Thai restaurant I'd never heard of. They had Khao Mun Gai. And it was GOOD. That same day I went back to the other restaurant and got 3 things for dinner for take away, which lasted us a few days. Then I went back again, and again. And will probably go again next week. Yes. I am addicted to GOOD Thai food. I need chiles (prik), ginger (king), fish sauce (nam pla), curry (gaeng) among other things.

As for our little munchkin? Well, since she's still nursing more times per day than I can count, she gets the Thai food indirectly. So far, she doesn't seem at all bothered by it, fortunately. I would rather have given up all dairy than to have to give up Thai food!

So I'll leave with some pictures of my days there, though the people in the photos are Karen, rather than Thai. They remind me of a special time.

That's a baby being weighed at WaleyKe. My midwife in San Antonio uses the same gadget to weigh babies. It works very well!


I made a new little friend, he's telling his mommy about the crazy lady taking pictures...


And Mawkerti

For more on those days, check out the archives January 2006.

And Kung, if you're reading, have a Beer Chang for me (and maybe a gin and tonic too).

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker