Wednesday, November 05, 2008

"We did it! We did it! Yes yes we did it!"


"We did it! We did it! Yes yes we did it!"
As Dora the Explorer sings when she and her friends help save the world with her spirit of friendship, cooperation, perseverance, hope, and believing they can. Angelina and I dance around singing this refrain with Dora.

Yes We Can. Yes We Did.

Yes We Will. For now, we start.

I want Angelina to grow up in a world of hope. A world of promise. Believing that any thing is possible, and when things are wrong, she can work to change them to make them better for all people.

I've voted in 6 presidential elections now. I was supposed to outgrow my youthful idealism by the time I left college. Certainly I was supposed to leave it behind when I left my 20s. No way was I supposed to be carrying it with me as I approach my 40s.

It's not going anywhere. It was validated last night.

And my hope is that Angelina can carry that positive outlook with her as well. I hope she has a reason to.

I've never been a hugely patriotic sort. As I've wandered the world I've tried not to announce my nationality, though I have tried to represent my country well, quietly, my accent giving me away. But this morning, I am Proud to be an American.

Now it's time to go Save the World with Dora. Thank you America, for making us believe.

(and Thank you to Ohio, land of my forefathers)

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker